Friday, May 15, 2009

Might I Suggest ...

I've heard many good things about The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows and so I picked it up the other day. And am I glad I did! I read through half of it last night and can't wait to get back too it. I love Juliet! I love Elizabeth (who I haven't even met yet!), Dawsey, Amelia, Isola, Eben, Sophia and Sidney. And my do I have hopes that Juliet will open her eyes and see Sidney. 

Told entirely through letters, this book about the after days of WWII on a small occupied island in the English Channel has captured my imagination and won't let go. Go out. Buy it. Read it. Love it. Then tell everyone else about it. The only sad part, so far, is the book has been published posthumously. It's sad this author isn't here to see what good work her book is doing.


3 comments:

Kailana said...

This is a great book, huh? I read it last year and considered it one of my top reads for the year.

Marg said...

I loved it when I read it last year as well!

Emily said...

Kailana and Marg ~
Best book for me this year.