Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Movie Review ~ He's Just Not That Into You


hjntiu

 From the movie website …

Based on the wildly popular bestseller from “Sex and the City” scribes Greg Behrendt and Liz Tuccillo, He’s Just Not That Into You tells the stories of a group of interconnected, Baltimore-based twenty-and thirtysomethings as they navigate their various relationships from the shallow end of the dating pool through the deep, murky waters of married life, trying to read the signs of the opposite sex … and hoping to be the exceptions t the “no-exceptions” rule.

Gigi just wants a man who says he’ll call - and does - while Alex advises her to stop sitting by the phone. Beth wonders if she should call if off after years of committed singlehood with her boyfriend, Neil, but he doesn’t think there’s a single thing wrong with their unmarried life. Janine’s not sure if she can trust her husband, Ben, who can’t quite trust himself around Anna. Anna can’t decided between the sexy married guy, or her straightforward, no-sparks standby, Conor, who can’t get over the fact that he can’t have her. And Mary, who’s found an entire network of loving, supportive men, just needs to find one who’s straight.

If you’ve ever sat by the phone wondering why he said he would call, but didn’t, or if you can’t figure out why she doesn’t want to sleep with you anymore, or why your relationship just isn’t going to the next level … he (or she) is just not that into you.

I had my doubts about this movie. I hadn’t read the book, I don’t go in much for self-help, but the movie boosted such an outstanding cast, that I gave into peer-pressure and went. I wasn’t disappointed. At first I thought it was just because it was $1 popcorn night and that extra-large coke along with some really good friends that made the movie for me. But after some reflection, I’ve decided it was actually that aforementioned and the story of Gigi and Alex. Ginnifer Goodwin and Justin Long really stole the show right out from under bigger name actors like Jennifer Aniston and Ben Affleck.

Gigi has been dumped … a lot. And Alex thinks he’s happy with his single and loving-it status. Together they move through a slow dance of discovery and eventually happiness.  I found bits of the movie to be completely cliché but perhaps that is the charm of such a movie. It’s suppose to show us that everybody experiences in some way or form what these six couples go through: self-doubt, suspicion, heartbreak and heartache, temptation, bewilderment, euphoria and ultimately happiness, whether alone, with someone new or the person who has been there all along.    

Throughout the movie I cringed, I laughed, I groaned and I got warm-squishes. I didn’t cry once although I think if I had more sympathy for Janine (Jennifer Connelly) I might have. I enjoyed the Kris Kristopherson’s cameo as Beth’s (Jennifer Aniston) father. I found Anna’s (Scarlett Johansson) character to be a little over the top but glad to see that Ben (Bradley Cooper) and Anna got what they worked for in the end. It might not have been what they wanted, but their paths were set from the beginning.

In the end, I am glad I went and I’d definitely rent this one on DVD. Something interesting as well … in a movie all about breaking up and finding the right one it’s interesting that Justin Long dated Drew Barrymore and Jennifer Aniston dated Kevin Connolly. Neither ex-couples had scenes with each other.

Make sure you don’t leave as soon as the credits start to roll, there are a few extra scenes that make the movie that much better.

Bottom Line: There are no signs, only what your heart tells you is true.

Things I Liked

~ I was impressed with the number of recognizable names in a film that doesn’t feature a lead character. Jennifer Aniston, Ben Affleck, Drew Barrymore, Jennifer Connelly, Scarlett Johansson, Justin Long, Kevin Connolly, Bradley Cooper, Ginnifer Goodwin.

~ Ginnifer Goodwin as Gigi won my heart from the beginning. She is every woman who’s ever been dumped, can’t figure out why, but figures out a way to move on.

~ The movie followed a unique format of several intertwining stories. I loved this form of story-telling in Love Actually and got pretty excited when I realized this was the same format.

~ This is a personal preference but I attended the movie with a group of about ten women. In total there were maybe 30 people in the theater (4 of which were guys). You know it’s a good movie when all 30 women make the same noises of surprise, delight, disgust and overall heart-melting-ness at the same time.

Things I Didn’t Like

~ Mary’s (Drew Barrymore) story was the least explored path and I wished for a little more on her.

~ There is a downside with a several plot-line movie … I did not enjoy Ben (Bradley Cooper) and Anna (Scarlett Johansson).

Favorite Line

Gigi: I’m the exception

Alex: You’re my exceptio 

Rating ~ B

Additional Info

~ Website ~ http://www.hesjustnotthatintoyoumovie.com/

2 comments:

Cheryl St.John said...

Enjoyed your review! I was on the fence with this one, and my daughter wants to go, so I guess I'll give it a shot.

Emily said...

Cheryl ~
I would definitely recommend this movie for you and your daughter. I am thinking about making my mom go see it. Enjoy and let me know if you liked it.