(That's the first thing you should know. I'm a dither-er ... ditherer? Is that even a word? It is now. I'm a writer. I get to decide.).
Some would call it procrastination. Some would call it fear of rejection. I prefer dithering. Or percolating. Because I've decided to start this blog and I really wonder ... why? And where do I begin?
So after days of arguing with myself and coming up with really some awesome blog post titles (for future blog posts. They're great, trust me.) I finally decided to just suck it up and write the terrible first one. Because you can't really just dive into a blog without any type of introduction, can you?
So here it is.
The Introduction Part One.
Arguments I have had with myself over the past few days which will hopefully give you an idea of who I am and why you should keep reading:
- Should I be anonymous and therefore mysterious? Perhaps not. I read blogs by "anonymous" people - mainly authors who want to have their say and not offend their readers or potentials at the same time. But if I were completely honest with myself, this blog is sort of a way of marketing - getting my name out there. Because some day I am going to publish this really great book about really great people and I need to make really great money so my future publisher will want more really great books and let's face it ... people love blogs. I know. I'm one of them. So, I decided to put myself out there.
- But how far out there? Where should I draw the line? If I were completely honest, I think most readers (hello? Is there anyone out there?) might find themselves on the far side of the too much information line. I tend to ramble. But if you want to get an idea of what I could write about but won't let myself, check out the list on the left over there called Things I Would Blog About If I Knew You Better. Go on, check it out. I'll just be here waiting, twiddling my thumbs. Back so soon? It's a short list now. It'll get longer. This leads me to ...
- What should I blog about? Welllll ... the things that interest me the most. TV (its premiere week, is anyone else peeing in their pants about the return of The Office tonight?); books (romance baby, gotta have my happily ever after); writing (because, you know, you can never have too many opinions on how you should write your book! - sense the sarcasm my friends); my real job (God, wouldn't it be great if my job were like The Office? I mean sure, you get Michael, but you also get to stare at Jim. There are no Jims anywhere near my cube); and my friends/family (because lets face it, they do some crazy weird stuff sometimes. Oh and my cat, Jack, who is currently watching TV. I kid you not. He loves baseball.
- So ... how often? I'm not really good with discipline. Really. Not. Good. Self-imposed deadlines are like a death sentence for whatever project I am currently working on. So to self-impose a schedule ... eeek, I think I see hives. But here's a promise. At least twice a week. I am a personal lover of people who blog everyday but those people are incredibly interesting whereas I like to think of myself as mildly amusing.
- Any rules? Rules, schumles. OK, so I'll try not to swear but sometimes my fingers just take over. And I'll keep the venting to a minimum - except on Very Bad Work Days. Other than that, who needs 'em?
So ... that's that. I hope lots of people come out to play. I'm nice. Really. Tell your friends about me. And then if they hate me, tell them I promised you all sorts of money and time share incentives to get the word out.
My name is Emily, and I am blogging.
P.S. Who the hell (oops, rule broken) came up with the word "blog"? It's not a very pretty word. If anyone out there wants to share the origin of this crazy word, go for it. I would appreciate it.